Monday, June 4, 2012

Tutorial: Lemon ~ Stephanie Kilgast


Hi everyone!

Today I'm going to show you how I do my lemon canes. For most of you this isn't something new, but many still ask me how I do them, so here's the explanation! I didn't invent this technique and I learned it from Angie Scarr. Though of course I adapted her technique for my work.

Materials:
- fimo: white, translucent, yellow, green (7/8 blue + 1/8 yellow)
- toothpick, pin, razor blade
- sandpaper
- glaze/varnish

1. Mix 1/2 white + 1/2 translucent
Mix Translucent + tiny amount of yellow

2. Shape the yellow mix into a ball and flatten it. The diameter should be approx 5 cm (2 inches). Cut in in 10 equal parts.

3. Using a rolling pin or a pasta machine (position 6) roll the white clay out and put it between the parts.

4. In the middle, shape a hole with a toothpick. Roll a white snake and place it in the middle of the lemon.

5. Using you pasta machine (position 2) or a rolling pin roll the white clay out and wrap the lemon cane with it. Make sure there are no bubbles (remove them with your blade) and that the clay don't overlay.

6. Now mix 2/3 yellow + 1/3 translucent + tiny amount of green (7/8 blue + 1/8 yellow) for the lemon skin.
Roll it out (pasta machine, position 7)

7. Squeeze and roll the cane until its diameter is approx 4 - 5 mm (0,16 - 0,2 inch.)

8. Cut approx 4 mm (0,16 inch) of the snake and close each side.

9. Using sandpaper and a toothpick roll the lemon gently onto it and shape the lemon.


10. Cut the lemon in 2 with your blade and then texture the inside with a pin.
Bake accordingly and then varnish the flesh.

That's it, I hope it will help at least one of you :D
xx
Stephanie

-------------------------------------------------------------

For more minis by Stéphanie Kilgast, visit:
Etsy:
petitplat.etsy.com
Flickr: flickr.com/photos/_sk
Website: www.petitplat.fr
Blog: petitplatbysk.blogspot.com
CDHM: cdhm.org/user/petitplat

6 comments:

Julie Old Crow said...

this is fantastic! I've done Angie Scarr's lemons, but I think yours look a lot more translucent and therefor more realistic. I'm going to give this one a try!

Julie old Crow

Luna said...

Great tutorial~! thanks for sharing~
i gonna try this.

Naty said...

Hi! I loved your tutorial for the lemons. I'm starting with clay modeling, I'll start with this.
Can you post more tutorials of fruits?
Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

How much clay do you use per cane?

Unknown said...

great post!
I will tri to make lemons!
I love your creations!
have a nice day!
claudia

Unknown said...

WOW! I think you are a witch! I found your blog by chance but this isn´t the last time when I visit here!
(I´m sorry, I´m Finnish so I can´t write very good English...)